Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Oh music, where did you go?

Me, 2008, supporting Holly
Golightly at Rodeo Club in
Athens, Greece.
All this business of writing is distracting. I've forgotten that there are other things I love to do too. One of the biggest things is MUSIC. Not only have I forgotten that I can actually write it (I haven't picked up my guitar since writing the String Bridge soundtrack), but I've forgotten it even exists. I haven't turned on the stereo in so many months I've lost count ...

-Jessica, that's disgusting.
-Yes, yes it is. I'm so ashamed.

Yeah, look, don't tell me it's natural, that there are only so many things that we can fit into this short time-slot of a day, because there's no excuse for forgetting that something enjoyable and relaxing and vital to my well-being exists. No excuse. At all.

-You have seemed a little absent lately. Maybe you're having withdrawals ...
-*sigh*

In all fairness, it doesn't help that all my CDs are stored away in a massive case, coverless, hiding in a drawer, still from ten years ago when I moved from Australia to Greece. Maybe it's time to buy a big CD rack, stick them into jewel cases at least, and label them with stickers or something, to remind myself that they are there.

-You're an idiot. Just open up the flippin' case once in a while!
-(silent stare)

Oh, and you know what's funny? My partner has THOUSANDS of albums. And I see them in front of me every day on the bookshelves. But it doesn't register that there is music in them. All I see now is a blur of colour embedded in our walls as if they are somehow a part of the walls themselves.

-Are you kidding? I saw something catch your eye there the other day.
-Yeah. Dust.

It also doesn't help that every time I do listen to music I end up in tears. Even if it's heavy metal. Must trigger some weird hidden psychological hurt, regret, melancholy, who knows ... *sigh*

I need to fix this. I need to make some sort of pact with my partner: one album every two days (?) until we've listened to every single one in our house ...

You think it'll happen? I guess if you see my crying, you'll know ...

What have you forgotten about since becoming a writer?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar