Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Oh What a Weekend!

It's Monday of a long weekend, so time for a weekend recap. Today is President's Day, so I am flying my flag outside in honor of our nation and the leaders and everyday people who have made it great!

This was a weekend of contrasts - very good and not so much.  Because so much happened, I decided to records the events of each day as they occurred.

It started with a day off on Friday, which was also Valentine's Day.  Charly and I always exchange small gifts on Valentine's.  He gave me a nice card and little bear...

...and I gave  him a couple of mystery books he had been wanting.  It was a pleasant way to begin our long weekend. 

Later in the morning, I went to Welfare Square in Salt Lake City.  

I needed to get some items for our pantry, namely, dehydrated apple slices, dehydrated onions, oatmeal and a few other items - like pancake mix and honey. 

I also went to the thrift store there and found a few interesting things.  Later, Charly wanted to go back with me to look for books at the thrift store he did find a couple of books he wanted.  

Charly has had a cough for several days, so we also paid a visit to the doctor Friday afternoon. The doctor gave him a prescription but didn't think Charly's cough was anything serious.  Boy was he wrong. 

I thought some comfort food might make us both feel better, so I made chicken and potatoes in the slow cooker.   It was very good.

Charly woke up not feeling very good on Saturday, even though he had been to the doctor Friday and got some meds to help him get better.  I wanted to go grocery shopping by myself so he could stay home and rest, but Charly has always loved to go grocery shopping with me, so he got up and we went together.  This is our grocery haul for Saturday. As you can see from the yellow tags, we got lots of manager's specials, so we saved some $$ on lots of items. 

Saturday afternoon, I told Charly to take some time and rest...

...while I went to spend a couple of hours at one of my favorite peaceful places.

Saturday was a cold, gray and cloudy day, so after dinner, Charly and I decided to walk at the mall.  Charly had rested all afternoon while I was gone to the temple and he said he was feeling like getting out and thought that doing our usual walk at the mall would do him good.  By about mid-way through our walk, I could see that Charly was really not feeling well.  I was afraid he was going to fall. I  urged him to stop, but he insisted that he could finish the walk. A few minutes later, he fell to the ground.  This was soooo scary, especially since the brain aneurysm Charly suffered just over two years ago.  I was able to help Charly get to his feet,  called Josh, and together we helped Charly to the car, as he insisted that there was nothing wrong with him and he just wanted to go home.  

So,  we went to the emergency room of a hospital just a couple of miles from our home.  


After he fell at the mall, there was no way I was going to take Charly back home without him being thoroughly checked out. 


Charly spent about four hours in E.R. with Josh and I with him.  There were blood tests and chest x-rays, a breathing treatment and finally a release with new medication and a diagnosis of the flu (even though Charly had a flu shot last fall), and resultant pneumonia.  We are so grateful that the doctors at the hospital found no sign of stroke or heart attack.  

Sunday was rainy and cold.  We all slept in Sunday, because it was very late when we brought Charly home on Saturday night.  No church for Charly and I on Sunday, but Josh went to a Young Adult service Sunday afternoon.  I had to go pick up meds for Charly, then we both spent a quiet day of rest.

One bit of excitement to our peaceful Sunday was when Chalry decided to fix himself some toast so he could take his medication with food as directed.  The toaster caught on fire.  Here is what our range and counter looked like after I put out the fire with baking soda.

Here is the blackened toaster sitting out on our driveway.  It went out with the trash this morning.  I was just glad that Charly and I and a box of baking soda were nearby when the flames started shooting out of the toaster.


Later, I made another recipe from our new cookbook - Taco Salad Casserole.

Here is the recipe, straight out of the book.  If you are interested, you can click on the picture to make it larger. 

It turned out to be an excellent recipe.  

We all enjoyed dinner and are glad we have leftovers for later today.

Today, we woke up to a clear and sunny morning, with just a slight coating of snow on the lawn. No big plans for today, except lots of rest for Charly. I am planning a walk around the neighborhood by myself while Charly relaxes at home.  

So for Charly, this is "resting and relaxing."  He is working on lessons for his substitute for this week since he will be taking a few days of sick time to get feeling better.  He is also doing Josh's taxes and starting on ours.  Pretty relaxing, huh!?!  At least he isn't out doing things that would cause a lot of physical exertion  

I also plan to do some reading,  finishing the book on the left and starting the book on the right.

As I look back over this "interesting" weekend, here are the blessings that I recognize:
  • Charly, who is resting and recovering today
  • Josh, who was an awesome help and support when his dad fell at the mall
  • A big hospital with a great Emergency Room - nearby
  • A long weekend 
  • Answered prayers
  • Concerned family - my sister, niece, sons and daughter
  • A nearby box of baking soda
I will end this post with this quote, which is attributed to Abraham Lincoln, and whom we honor on this President's Day.  Seems like the quote, whether Lincoln really said it or not, really sums up most of the good and bad things that happen to us in life. 

Have a good week and I will see you again soon!






























Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar