Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Restless

Do any of you ever want to just pack up and move away?  Not even say good bye to friends and neighbors...just sorta disappear and start over!!!  Is that normal thinking??

I may have inherited some of this thinking from my daddy's side of the family.  Daddy had seven brothers and two sisters...You may remember, mama had seven sisters and two brothers.  Anyway, one of daddy's brothers was known for just disappearing...one never knew where he might show up, or when he might come strolling back in at home.  Daddy used to tell us about when they were boys, working in the field.  Occasionally, they would hear a train whistle blow in the distance...well this one brother would leave his hoe in the field, take off running and catch that train.  He would be gone for weeks at a time!!

There was another story I remember about this rambling brother.  We were living down in Summerville, South Carolina when my uncle showed up at our house.  He wanted mama and daddy to take him home, to Grandma's house...way up near Sanford, North Carolina.  The story goes, we did pack up and make that trip to take him home, probably a 4 hour drive.  I can't remember whether or not we spent the night at grandma's, but when we got back home to Summerville, this same uncle was sitting on our front porch waiting for us.

I seriously have a touch of this "urge to ramble" in my blood.  Funny, the definition of "ramble" is, to move aimlessly from place to place.  Guess at my age I had better stay put.  Right now, packing up and moving to the mountains sounds mighty good!!! :)

My mood probably has something to do with this time of the year.  The yard is an ugly mess and it's hot and humid outside.  Just after cutting all those trees, we went through that long rainy period and couldn't work outside.   Those same trees are still on the ground!! To add to the problems, in late July and August  we are infested with those tiny, tiny ticks...I mean millions of the tiny biting, blood sucking creatures.  You won't know you've walked into these ticks until you start stinging and itching...look down and your socks are crawling with these things.  I have had as many as fifty bites at once.  It takes a magnifying glass to see that these truly are ticks!!!  At this point, I welcome our first frost!!!

On at happier note, there was another unusual bird at the pond this morning.  Of course it was some type of water bird.  The ducks were interested and swam out for a better look.  This bird has a long pointed beak and red on the back of it's head and neck...sorry I couldn't get a better picture.  Having a pond in the back yard is fun and attracts lots of wildlife.





Not much of a post!!!  Thank you if you've stayed this long.  I am truly thankful that we have this little home and yard and most of all, our health.  I will try to hang on...and just hope that I don't hear a train whistle blowing out there somewhere!!!

Love,
Henny Penny


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar