It was another busy weekend. It was also a smoky and hazy weekend.
This picture was taken this morning at 10:22 am Friday morning from my front yard. That orange circle in the sky is what I could see of the sun. I have a gorgeous view of Mt. Olympus (no, I don't live in Greece - that's really the name of the mountain) from my front yard, but this was that view on Friday. The smell of smoke was pungent. I had to go back inside because my eyes were burning. My throat felt raw after just a few minutes outside. People were wearing masks outside, not because of Covid, but because of the horrible air quality. Apparently this was all smoke from wildfires in California burning at least 1,000 miles away. There was an almost apocalyptic feel in the air Friday morning.
Because of the terribly smoky air on Friday, I decided to stay indoors and do some reading. I finished this book.
I am now reading this mystery/thriller.
Friday afternoon, I went for my "back-to-school" hair cut and style. I got a recommendation from a friend for a new salon and stylist, so I made an appointment and ended up with the best haircut I have had in several years. I think the long drive to and extra cost of this new salon was worth it for me.
Saturday, Josh asked me to take a drive with him so he could see where a place he wants to go is located. On the way back, we decided to stop for lunch at this place, which touts that it serves the "Best Burger in Utah."
It's definitely a "mom and pop" place, or maybe just a mom place because there was just one little lady working by herself, taking all the order, making all the food and ringing up the checks.
Was it really "Utah's Best Burger"? I'm not sure about that, but the cheese burger I had was very tasty. The bun, tomatoes, lettuce and onions were fresh and the meat patty was cooked just the way I like it. It was a pretty good burger. The fries not so much. They look good in this picture, but they were not crisp at all, and were actually soggy. This place might serve Utah's Best Burger, but NOT Utah's Best Fries.
When Josh and I got home, I finished my the "Get out the vote" postcards I have been working on, and Charly and I took them to the post office. We stopped at a couple of thrift stores after that, but didn't get much. Charly found and bought a Preston and Childs book he has been looking for, so he was happy with that.
I made meatloaf and baked potatoes for dinner Saturday night. We had spinach salad and baked zucchini along with it. It was good meatloaf.
Saturday night, Charly and I watched the movie, The Woman in the Window, on Netflix. We both thought it was pretty good - an overall excellent adaptation of the book.
Sunday morning, Charly and I went for our morning walk. The sky was still smoky and hazy but a little better than it was on Friday.
Before we went to church, I put a pot roast, along with potatoes and onions, in the slow cooker. They made an excellent Sunday dinner later in the afternoon. Slow cooker pot roast is one of my favorites.
After church, while I was doing some indexing, my doorbell, rang and when I answered it, there stood a woman I didn't know. Turns out she was my very elderly neighbor's daughter, who had come to tell me that her father had suddenly, and very unexpectedly, gone completely blind. He is now in the hospital. His wife and he are in their 90s and his wife is deaf and bed-ridden and has been completely dependent on her husband for his care. The daughter, who lives about two and a half hours away, had come to asked me to look in on her mother from time to time over the next few days until other family members arrive. She also asked me to take her parents plants since they will both be moving into an assisted living center in the next couple of weeks and selling their condominium. The whole thing was very sudden, and while I may or may not have referred to this neighbor as a "curmudgeon," I am always happy to help someone who needs help.
Coming up this week:
It is going to be another busy one .
Monday - Back to school for teachers in my district. My alarm will go off at 5:30 a.m.. Here we go again. Students come back next week.
Monday - Dishwasher repair tech coming. The dishwasher control panel keeps beeping. We had this fixed about three months ago. Beeping again.
Monday - Contractors coming back to finish the demolition of the old tile in the bathroom.
Tuesday - Plumber coming to get the shower ready for the new tile.
Wednesday - Electrician coming to redo the lighting in the bathroom.
Friday - I may or may not have a new bathroom. The way things have been going, I'm not holding my breath, but I will be pleased with some progress.
Thanks for stopping by. Have a good week.
😊Deb💙
"Life's most urgent question is what are you doing for others?"
~Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.







0 Yorumlar