I'm not giving Paul Verhoeven's Turkish Delight a rating because I think I'm missing some sort of cultural context. See, this film about two repellent people having a repellent, doomed affair was voted the greatest Dutch film of all time...by the Dutch themselves. Really? REALLY? Is Rutger Hauer being a carefree, near sociopathic asshole supposed to be charming? Do the Dutch think it's still okay to root for him as a protagonist after he straight-up tries to rape his wife, played by Monique van de Ven? If anything, Turkish Delight is an anti-romance: it takes every opportunity to bask in the taboo, vicious, and even scatological side of physical attraction. But I would also go one step further: it's nothing more than a softcore porno with an unusually downbeat ending. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that de Ven spends more time naked than she does being clothed. And it's also not an exaggeration to say that Hauer spends more time being an awful human being than he does being a decent one. But like I said, I think I'm missing some cultural context. I'm not trying to tear down a classic for the sake of tearing down a classic. I truly, honestly want to know what's going on with the Dutch and this film.


0 Yorumlar