Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Mughul Elephants






You can't have a Mughul army without elephants, and to cover all the options of the relevant armies for DBR requires quite a few.

I started on these quite a while ago and somehow ran out of steam, as it seemed like a lot of work to get them all finished. However I recently braced myself to get them off the stocks as they had reached the stage of gathering dust, as well as always getting in the way. They were in fact the proverbial 'elephants in the room'...

Mine are a mixture of manufacturers, in fact I can't remember where most of them came from.  Many of them are from 'Ancient Indian' ranges, as I thought these would be ideal for representing 'Inferior' elephants as defined by DBR as well as add to the variety. This leads to some of them looking a little anachronistic, only Essex have specifically 'Moghul' ones, but I largely avoided these as they are nearly twice the price of most other manufacturers.

I spent a lot of time working out what the optimum number of elephants would be to cover all the options, and came up with 19 (or 24 if fielding a Hindu army against another Hindu army), although it is unlikely all of them would be fielded in one go as they are so expensive in the DBR lists. The astute among you will note there are only 17 here, I still need to get at least one more elephant, and I already have one for my Khwarismian army so that covers that. I also realized I didn't really have enough Generals, there is a theoretical maximum of 8, if Allied Generals are included, so I will order a couple more from somewhere at some point. Now I am moving on to rocketeers and more bunduqchis etc.

Museum Miniatures 'Ancient' elephants

Museum Miniatures Ancient elephants, the umbrella holders were actually spear holders, but I converted them.

Some of the few Essex elephants I procured, these are the 'Ancient' variety that for some reason were cheaper than other kinds. I based these four without an escort to allow for the option of fielding some 'I' and some 'S' in the Moghul list. Other lists are easier to deal with, as the Hindu list is either/or so all the elephants are the same type regardless of how they look, and the Muslim list only has one that can be fielded as 'S' so easy enough to designate one as the 'S' one if necessary.

Another view of the Essex pachyderms 

Essex 'Ancient' Generals, with a 'Moghul' escort

Another view of the Essex Generals

The only 'Moghul' Essex elephant I bought was the 'General' on the left.  The one on the right is Freikorps, now available from Total System Scenic

Another view of  the two Generals

A mixture of Freikorps and Donnington Elephants (I Think?)

Another view of the above. Towers, such as these in the front, were not really typical of the the place and period, either a howdah or ridden was more usual, as with the two to the rear in this picture.

A couple of unusual examples of a rocket firing elephant and one carrying naptha throwers from Museum Miniatures. Not sure how common these would have been either!

And another view.


Some closer views of some of the elephants...











Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar