Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

ROW80 ~ Checking In

A Fantastic Week, Great Friends, & A Flash Fiction Challenge...September Rolls In Nicely...

Hello to all my A Round of Words in 80 Days friends!  How has your week been shaping up?  How have you challenged yourselves? 

I've heard other ROW80 participants talk of joining this group or that, writing pieces of flash fiction or writing parties, taking new classes, and reading books to study new tips on writing technique, but until this month, all I was ready to do was listen.  I suppose it's my nature.  I like to hear all about a thing, roll it around in my head for awhile, and peek at it via the Internet/library/friend's blog page to gain a better understanding before I commit to actually doing it.  I am cautiously adventurous...(it's an oxymoron, I know...but it really does describe me.  Once I'm convinced that I'm ready, I'll try just about any new thing.  But I have to build up to my sense of adventure - and build up my confidence.)  September 2011 has seen me take on a bit of adventure.



I published my first novel.  Whoa!  I'm still sort of fashed over that.  (By the way...I just got my first reader feedback this morning...I'm smiling from ear to ear!)

I joined in the Writer's Platform-Building Campaign.  Taking on the commitment of another group was a huge decision for me.  It's stretching me as a writer/blogger/reader and offering more community. 

I wrote my first piece of Flash-Fiction this week for The First Campaign Challenge - I'm number 26! (See post before this one - or click the link to see all the entries)  It was incredibly fun!  I actually cannot wait to do it again.  I'm amazed at how many variations of thought/story/creativity can come from four simple words.  And with a 200 word limit - talk about choosing your words carefully!  Some of the entries were absolutely fantastic! 

I purchased a book on writing technique based on a recommendation.  A Writer's Guide to Harry Potter Workshop, by S.P. Sipal.  Its purpose is to help writers create worlds within their stories that are well crafted, memorable, and emotionally impactual to the reader - or so I've been told.  Not only did a fellow Campaigner recommend it, I read many comments of writers who appreciated the lessons housed within this title.  I've touted the idea that I'll continue learning and growing while I write.  It's time to put my money/time/effort where my mouth is.  Ha!

Today is the first day of school in our district.  My boys were so excited to meet their teachers, classmates, and to pack their new lunch bags.  For the first time in eight years, I'm not teaching.  I don't know exactly how I feel about this yet.  I'll let you know when I figure it out.  But first...I'm going to enjoy the peace and quiet!  I'm actually home alone!! Woot-Woot.  I plan on using this new 'quiet time' each day to concentrate heavily on my writing/blogging/etc.  This may sound far-reaching, but I'm a far-reaching kind of gal. (well, once I get up my cautiously-adventuresome-courage!)  I've designed a one-year plan in respects to my writing goals - and a five year plan, too.

Today marks the day that I return to writing Her Dark Baron!  I'm off for a quick read-through - I have to pick up the tone of the story again.  Happy writing everyone!!          ~ Nadja

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar