Yesterday was the day to get the pile out of the dark corner. I needed a bit o a change from the usual chore but still wanted to do something useful. You know, for that moment when the husband asks "so, what did you do today?". This is what I found in the pile:
- one knitted monkey with damaged eye
- one flannel shirt with two large rips over the elbows
- three pairs of trousers with big holes
- one school polo shirt without buttons
- one pair of running shorts with open seams
- one stripy hoody with the pockets partially pulled off
I thought this would keep me busy or a wee while. I started off with the trousers. Alistair's skinny jeans needed one bigger patch on the right knee and a new patch on the left knee. I usually remove the back pockets with my seam opener and stitch them onto the knees but these particular ones were bolted on (why?) and I couldn't get them off. Luckily I do always have some old pockets in my magic stash, taken from trousers that were beyond repair. I also re-use still good enough patches.
Annie's orange cords were so badly ripped that the trousers own pockets were not big enough to cover the hole. I found a large one in the stash, probably from one of Richard's jeans. It was just about big enough.
The monkey got a new eye. I think it might need a bath, too. I am glad I used acrylic wool to knit it. I shall sneak it in the washing machine next time James is distracted.
Richard's rustic flannel shirt was mended with interfacing and an oval patch cut from a red sheet that I don't use because it is not fitted. I used the same fabric for sleeves for a little girl's blouse. I used a zig zag stitch to sew the patches on. It was a bit tricky using the sewing machine for fixing a relatively narrow sleeve but a bit of tugging and pushing and some expletives was all it took to get it done.
I closed the hole in Alistair's favourite hoodie, found some buttons to stitch onto James's polo shirt and zigzagged the split seams of my running shorts. I don't have an overlocker and there was a bit of puckering but I don't care.
I am ever so pleased with my work. We may not wear those clothes for a fancy occasion but they will be good enough for outdoor play and work in the garden.
As for the usual chores, I shall do them tomorrow. Unless I can find another excuse.





0 Yorumlar