Congratulations to Lisamarie Lamb, who came in at 4th place with this wonderful story:
It’s Only A Number
It's only a number, I thought as I put down the receiver, biting my lip. A two instead of a three and my entire life had just changed. I'd been dialling a number so well known that I hadn't been looking at what I was doing, and then I heard an unknown man’s voice.
I glanced down at the display and there it was, the wrong number.
"Right," the man said before I could speak, business-like. "I've got what you wanted. A million, used notes. Difficult, but I did it. I'll put it where we discussed. You just need to collect it and leave my daughter."
What the hell had I just stumbled on? It had to be someone playing about. I stayed quiet, waiting for the next bit. It came soon enough. "Oh, I see. I get it. Just make sure you're there, at the station, locker 490. No one else is involved, like I promised, like you asked. I'll be there at 10pm."
And that was it. I had a choice. Collect the money and let the child presumably die. Or tell the police and potentially save a life. It was a tough call.
About the Author
Lisamarie Lamb lives in Kent with her husband and baby daughter. Lisamarie self-published her first novel Mother's Helper recently, and is now working on a collection of short horror stories to publish later in 2011.
Lisamarie blogs at The Moonlit Door and tweets as @lisamarie20010


0 Yorumlar