Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

A Friday Five in May



Outside my window the sky is streaked with a few thin clouds that will soon blow away with the strong breeze that has trees and flowers tossing their heads. The forecast is for a beautiful weekend, with temperatures reaching the mid-20s (Celsius). 

I expect that the wind will tear away the almost-ready-to-fall tulip petals. With that likelihood, I went out with my camera to capture the last of these gorgeous flowers. 


There's a glimpse of that blue sky. Is it just me or has this been an exceptionally beautiful spring? Everything seems fresher and lovelier and more vibrant. I revel in the beauty of the world. 


Last weekend, Tim and I took a drive down to Clover Point and went for a short, but brisk walk. The wind was sharp and chill. This gull faced into the wind, flapped vigorously, and went nowhere; he just managed to stay aloft. 

Our province, and particularly our Island, has passed relatively lightly through the Covid-19 crisis. I say relatively because there have been deaths, but our hospitals are mostly empty and positive cases are fewer each day. The restrictions here have not been as strong as in other places - we are encouraged to get out and walk, garden centres are open, some retail stores remained open, we are not wearing masks (unless we want to), and social distancing is mostly respected. 

We can begin to gather with our close loved ones, and are encouraged to keep our circles tight. In mid-May provincial parks will be open for day-use, and more retail stores will open. These are slow measures, and I respect the care that our provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, is taking. There will be no gatherings of over 50 people until there is a vaccine, or herd immunity has been achieved. In other words, for a long time. We will all have to adjust to a new normal. 


Rhubarb is flourishing these days, and to that end I baked a Brown Butter Rhubarb Cake. The recipe is on Jean's Delightful Repast blog, and is one I make every year. It's not too sweet, with a bit of tartness, and a lovely buttery flavour. Perfect with a cup of tea. I confess that I had a piece as my breakfast the other day. 


In the parade of flowers that is Spring, the tulips are nearing the end of the route while the lilacs are front and center. This bouquet adorns the dining room table and fills the main floor with fragrance. 


I'll leave you with one last blithe tulip at the start of this Mother's Day weekend. We are gathering with our family for the first time since March, and oh, how I am anticipating that.

A blessing for you today, prayed from my heart:

"May the day never burden. May the dawn find you awake and alert, approaching your new day with dreams, possibilities, and promises. May evening find you gracious and fulfilled. May you go into the night blessed, sheltered, and protected. May your soul be calm, consoled, and renewed." 

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar