Lately I've been looking at a lot of Belgian Style and trying to learn what defines it. It's fairly distinct from, say, French Country with which it shares a few aspects in common. It tends to be simple and clean lined, have a neutral palette, is highly textural, uses reclaimed and natural materials, and incorporates lots of gray and brown. Chalky painted finishes are common with a mix of modern and antique furnishings. Glass, silver, pewter, and crystal is often found, but almost never gold. It can be formal, but most often has an unfussy casual elegance that avoids pattern, and includes a lot of natural fabrics like linen, cotton, wools, and velvets.
It has been described as close to Shabby Chic and Swedish Style, but more masculine. Lace and ruffles are minimal. I was pleased to find the Belgian Style kitchen above which defies a bit of the customary elements and is closer to cottage style. It has lots of stimulating detail, and more than the usual decorative objects for the style. The space is small. Most of the rooms I've seen in Belgian Style are massive. I could hang out here quite happily.
I'm pretending to copy a bit of the style in my own dining room which always has a few European influences
.
But the neutral colors are right.
There is probably too much pattern in my jug.
Lots of white with natural wood finishes is characteristic. And I've got the vintage cotton and linen thing down. There's even a bit of Belgian tapestry peeking through underneath!
I certainly have a small enough room!
Anyway, thanks for indulging my little Belgian fantasy.
Ciao! for now!
Jacqueline
I'm sharing at



0 Yorumlar